Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Updated

The Romantic Period 1798-1832

1. "But oh! that deep Romantic chasm which slanted/ Down the green hill,
athwart a cedarn cover!/ A savage place! A holy and enchanted/ As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted..."
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

2. In 1807, Robert Fulton launched his steamboat, and, in 1814, George Stephenson built a steal locomotive. Railroads changed the face of England and steamboats shrank oceans. It was the textile industry, however, that was at the forefront of change. Inventions, from the spinning jenny to the power loom, changed the way cloth was woven and moved the weaver from the spinning wheel in the kitchen to the factory beside the river.
Water power first and then coal drove the machines that ran the mills that created the cities in which the workers lived. Wealth no longer depended on land, and workers, separated from the land, realized that they would have to unite in political action. The Reform Bill of 1832, the product of democratic impulses and changing economic conditions, was a first step in extending the right to vote. It increased the voting rolls by 57 percent, but the working class and some members of the lower middle classes were still unable to vote. In 1833, after the period ended, Parliament abolished slavery in the British Empire.


3. Definitions page 720, 722, 726

exotic- adj. foreign; strange or different in a way that is striking
______
secular- adj. relating to worldly things as opposed to religion
_______
residential-adj. characterized by private homes
_______
privileged- adj. having rights or advantages denied to others
_______
institution- noun. established law, custom, or practice
_______
industrial- adj. of or connected with industries or manufacturing
_______
conventional- noun usually an adjective, it refers as a noun to whatever follows rules and is not original
_______
routine- noun. regular, customary procedure
_______
foibles- noun. small weakness in character

_________________________________________________
4. Ideas That Would Not Die- The original message of the Revolution, the one that had thrilled Wordsworth, was that people were to be free in their personal lives and free to choose their government: that all people were equally "citizens". However subsequent actions perverted them, these ideas would not die.
In England, a group of men and women, mostly Quakers, led by William Wilberforce, were determined that one ancient social institution would be abolished. Thanks to them, slavery was ended in England and in the Empire.
The Reform Bill of 1832 is another manifestation of the process of peaceful revolution that transformed England. Behind it was the idea of extending the right to vote. The 1832 bill was a step in a journey that took nearly a century, but in the end gave all citizens voting rights.
___________________________________________

5. The Sonnet- Romantic poets revived the sonnet, which had virtually disappeared after Milton. Wordsworth uses it as a political form in "London, 1802," and Shelley as a visionary form in "Ozymandis" and in "Ode to the West wind," which is made up of linked sonnets.
The Ode- In addition, the Romantics brought to perfection one of the oldest forms of poetry, the ode. Odes were written by Wordsworth, Coleridge, Shelley, and, most notably, by the 24-year-old Keats.
The Byronic Hero- Lord Byron embodies in his life the spirit of age. A handsome, club-footed aristocrat who scorned the rules of society, he was described as "mad, bad, and dangerous to know." Byron created in his person and in his characters the Byronic Hero, mysterious, brooding, and threatening. That hero is the distant ancestor of today's mysterious outsiders, whether in film, literature, or the graphic novel.
The Gothic- Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein, influenced by the relatively new tradition of the horror-filed Gothic novel. Frankenstein is the doctor, not the monster, and he acts out the great Romantic theme of going beyond the limit. The novel reveals what happens when a man's obsession makes him unable to imagine the consequences of his action.
Going beyond the limit was yet another expression of the Romantics' drive to escape the everyday, the routine, and the humdrum.
______________________________________________________
6. Dialect- It is the language, and particularly the speech habits, of a specific social class, region, or group. A dialect may vary from the standard form of a language in grammar, in pronunciation, and in the use of certain expressions.
________________________________________________________
7.
Dominion- noun. rule; authority
_____
impudence- noun lack of shame; rudeness
_____
winsome- adj. having a charming appearance or way
_____
discretion- noun. good judgment; prudence
_____
inconstantly- adv. changeably; in a fickle way
_______________________________________________________

8. Ok
9. Ok
10. The speaker uncovers the mouse by
_______________
11.

_______________
12. Ok

________________
13.

__________________
14. Literature Response: Because I’m somewhat of a lazy person, I would be better off if these paragraphs were about what I wouldn’t do to get what I’m passionate about. However, within me is a strength, an endurance, that can weather a whole lot more than what people expect of me when I really want something. I’ve seen this fierceness in action, last summer infact. I really wanted to get to Memphis to study at the University of Tennessee for the summer and prepare for my senior year of high school. I wanted it so much that I detached myself from my family for the first time in my life, hoped on the Greyhound and rode for 30 consecutive hours, and caught a taxi to my dad’s place in order to visit the University. That was a great summer and I have no regrets with what I endured to capture it.
I would sacrifice a lot to get what I’m passionate about. Some things I would give up is my home life, my friends, and my location. For instance, if I was accepted into a college I would have to give those things up in order to go. I would give it up, because I’m passionate about attending college and kiss my home goodbye in order to go. Things I would not sacrifice are love, family, and freedom. When I say love, I mean a kind that really makes me feel complete. Something like love and freedom isn’t worth sacrificing because those are the main two things people desire most anyway.
15. Simile- comparing two apparently unlike things by using like or as
Metaphor- comparing two apparently unlike things without using like or as
Personification- giving human traits to something nonhuman
Oxymoron- juxtaposing two opposite or contradictory words that reveal an interesting truth
Imagery- Imagery is descriptive language that appeals to the sense of sight, hearing, touch, taste, or smell. The term imagery may refer to a literal description, as well as to figurative language that evokes sensory experiences. Examples of imagery include words like green, humming, cold, and peppery.
Sound devices- Use the sounds of language to add a musical quality to poetry
Repetition- repeated use of sounds, words, phrases, or sentences. Poets use repetition for emphasis as well as to create musical effect. There are four popular devices that rely on repetition; alliteration, onomatopoeia, rhyme, and assonance.
Alliteration- repetition of initial consonant sounds
Consonance- repetition of final vowel sounds
Assonance- repetition of similar vowel sounds
Rhyme- repetition of sounds at ends of words, which are rhymes that occur at the ends of lines.
Onomatopoeia- use of words that imitate sounds- for example, words like ring, boom, and growl
16. Ok
17.

18. Will use another page.
___________________________________________________
19. I di



20. Vocabulary:
averred- verb. Stated to be true
Sojourn- verb. To stay for a while
Expiated- verb, atoned for, especially by suffering
reverence- noun. Deep respect
Sinuous- adj. bending; winding
Tumult- noun. Noise, commotion

21. Ok
22.
23.
24.
25. Vocubulary:
Verge- noun. Edge; rim
Sepulcher- noun. Tomb
Impulse- noun. Force driving forward
Blithe- adj. cheerful
Profuse- adj. abundant; pouring out
Satiety- noun. State of being filled with enough or more than enough
26. Three characteristics of poetic imagery:
-It appeals to any or all of the five sense.
- It sets the tone, the writer’s attitude toward the subject.
- It creates patterns supporting a poem’s theme, or central idea.
27. I think I will be around 30 or so when I hit the prime of my life. Honestly, I plan to be in college until I’m 24 and will be studying the whole time, which is not the most fun thing to do. I will have my career around the age of 25 or so and I’ll be getting used to that so I give it a good 5 years until I get used to that. I think I will be married by then, maybe even supporting a child by then. These are all the things that will most likely make my life happy and they play in the equation when figuring out my prime.
(Continue)

28. Ok.
29.
30. Ode-
Pindaric ode-
Horatian ode-
Irregular ode-
31.

No comments:

Post a Comment